Posted to alt.food.wine
filippo[_2_] filippo[_2_] is offline

Default 'Chianti' Riserva?

UC wrote:

> Did you read this thread? I bought a $10 bottle of "Chianti
> Riserva" (not "Chianti Classico Riserva") and was less than impressed
> with its contents. Any typical $10-12 Sicilian Nero d'Avola blows it
> away.

Oh, I see.. You are talking about the Chianti Riserva of the start of
the thread, the Via Firenze. Apparently this Campagna Gello is a
bottler, probably specialized on the US market. There seems to be an
Apulian red bottled by them too: IGT Puglia Primitivo "Il Valore",
see for instance:
http://winecast.net/2006/07/06/campa...rimitivo-2004/
Then they sell this Chianti Arcano:
http://www.winesworld.net/wine30e.asp?velg=Italy&V2=734
There is also another Chianti Riserva by them, "Familia Cara":
http://www.corkd.com/wine/view/17854

Also..
http://italianwinelabels.com/browse/18/1571/326

Chances are that they do not see a single grape in their activity, and
that they only buy wines by the bulk and bottle/label it for a market
they choose. Personally, I would prefer to buy wine from those who make
it, rather than from those who merely label it and sell it. But this may
be a biased position of mine.