Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Jebediah Kornworthy Jebediah Kornworthy is offline

Default burners on grill

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Nonnymus > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> I took the three burners to my shop and measured the holes in the least
>> used and least obstructed one. Then, I chucked a drill bit in my DeWalt
>> drill, rolled up a comfortable chair, put on my safety goggles and
>> started drilling out the holes. My god, are there a lot of holes and
>> some are very difficult to reach. Those, got a hand "picking" with a
>> piece of wire. The completed burners were then taken out back and blown
>> out with 175 psi compressed air until they were clean as a whistle
>> inside.
>>
>> I reassembled the grill and can report that it's working perfectly. In
>> all, I used up about a half day, and the result was a grill that has a
>> more even temperature now across the grates than I recall having when it
>> was new. I attribute that to having round, perfectly formed holes in
>> the burners, now, rather than "dents" created by just casting the holes.
>>
>> If your old grill is acting like mine was, I really recommend investing
>> some time and giving my solution a try.

> When I was a welder, back in '53, we had a hand tool for cleaning the
> orifices on acetylene torches. It had a number of different size gimlets
> or
> augers or whatever they're called.

Yes, they are called tip cleaners. They have a rough surface so they can
clean the gas welding torch tips. I have always kept a set handy for
cleaning a number of different orifices. They work great on gas stove tops
if you have a clogged ignition tube orifice or clogged burner and I'm sure
that they'd also work well on a BBQ. One thing to note however, they aren't
real strong like a drill bit so if it is badly clogged you may still have to
use the drill but they are a life saver. Here is a web site that sells them
in a little self contained case that holds approximately 15 different sizes
for about $3.65 not including taxes and shipping & handling.

https://weldingsupply.securesites.co...in/einstein.pl