Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Matt Matt is offline

Default How long to "dry" a Salmon fillet before plopping it in the smoker?

"Reg" > wrote in message
. ..

> Rick F. wrote:
>
>> Hi all...
>>
>> So, I did the dry-brine thing using Kosher salt, brown sugar+regular
>> sugar, and
>> crushed peppercorns for 24 hours.. I then removed it from the fridge,
>> cleaned
>> it very well under running water, dried it with some paper towels and put
>> it on a plate in the fridge again with a few papertowels underneath. So,
>> How long
>> should it remain in the fridge before I should start it up on the smoker?
>> I've
>> read about it drying for a few hours to a few days and am not sure which
>> is
>> better.. I'm currently planning on leaving it in the fridge for ~30 hours
>> since I put it in the fridge at noon today..
>>

> The answer is: until it's dry and tacky to the
> touch. It's called a pellicle.
>
> This can be accomplished in as little as 90 minutes
> in front of a fan. Either that or overnight in the
> fridge.
>
>> Also, I gather a lower temp is better for smoking than the higher
>> temps --
>> particularly if I can keep the smoker ~150 or so.. Sound reasonable?

> I keep it low, around 160-180 F. If the fat melts and runs out, it
> was cooked too hot. It's similar to smoking sausage in that sense.
>
> --
> Reg

I've had good luck using the following technique on salmon. I smoke with
apple wood for the first 3-4 hours, then heat only after that.

Cut fillets into strips and then wet brine overnight, then romove and allow
to dry.
After the pellicle forms, usually 4-6 hours or so, the salmon goes into the
smoker.

1 hr @ 100F
1 hr @ 120F
2-3 hr @ 140F