Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Will Yardley Will Yardley is offline

Default Seasoning vegetables

On 2007-03-13, Dick Adams > wrote:

>> Something like this might work:
>> http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/a...1/rec0169.html (this
>> is not that healthy, but should be pretty tasty. You could skip the
>> deep frying step, though they won't be as good. If you can get
>> Chinese long beans instead of regular string beans, it will be
>> better).

> We don't deep fry. Hever heard of Chinese long beans. We are blessed
> with two large Korean supermarkets and a few smaller oriential food
> stores within short drives from us. So Chinese long beans will go on
> the shopping list. You can't beat the prices in those supermarkets!

They look like a string bean, but they're really, really long, and kind
of wrinkly.
Look like this:
http://www.vegiworks.com/longbean.jpg

Some magazine (Cook's Illustrated, I think) recently did a pan fried
version of this with a lot less fat than the traditional recipe. I've
never hard a version of this that's as good as restaurant versions.

>> * I like to make a tofu and vegetable scramble - the tofu will absorb
>> the hot stuff better than most vegetables. I use a base of onions and
>> bell peppers, chili flakes, sometimes hot sauce.

> There is tofu in Chinese Hot-n-Sour soup which I love,
> but we have never cooked with it as it has always seemed
> bland to both of us.

Tofu itself *is* fairly bland; but that's the advantage - it soaks up a
lot of flavor. My favorite is frozen tofu - cut the tofu up in chunks
(not the silken kind - the one w/ a little rougher texture - medium or
firm). Once it's thawed again, it has a totally different texture - a
really nice, chewy texture. Thaw, squeeze out the moisture, and it will
soak up the flavor of whatever it's cooked in.

>> * Indian, Japanese or Thai style curries.

> Japanese curry is unknown to both of us.

The commercially prepared curry rouxs will probably be too salty for you
(and most have added MSG as well). It's really tasty and comforting,
though. Kind of a brownish roux, little salty, little sweet. Maybe
closer to an Indian curry than a Thai curry, but not really the same as
either.

>> * I don't know if you're vegetarian - either way, you could try
>> (commercial prepared) Furikake...
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furikake - there are some vegetarian
>> versions, though most of them have some bonito flakes too. This can be
>> obtained at most Japanese markets. In general, you could try some
>> shredded toasted seaweed of some sort.

> Furikake has been written down for searching for availablity.
> Anything new to add to rice is always appreciated.

Just plain sesame seeds (black or regular) are good too, or maybe even
hemp seeds. Anyway, you could aproximate your own Furikake with shredded
toasted nori (the kind of seaweed used for sushi rolls) and sesame
seeds. Health food stores sometimes have similar seasonings.

> I am not a vegetarian in the sense of avoiding meat products.
> Do strict vegetarians avoid fish products.

Yeah - I'd say most people would say that vegetarians don't eat fish. At
least I wouldn't consider someone who eats fish vegetarian, though I
certainly do have a lot of friends who are vegetarians besides fish.

> I just printed that off for my wife and bookmarked the page. I
> especially like the recipe for the "Polenta Lasagna with Portabellas
> and Kale". Mushrooms have always been a favorite of mine.

I love mushrooms too. They are very savory, and are one of the few
"meaty" ingredients that aren't trying to aproximate meat really. So if
you like mushrooms, you could also try a wild mushroom risotto, maybe
with some other vegetables (asparagus?) in there too.