Posted to rec.food.sourdough
atty atty is offline

Default Endothermic reactions

On 13 Mar, 13:33, "TG" > wrote:
> On 13 Mar, 10:12, "atty" > wrote:
>
> > why is developing dough earlier on a bad thing for flavour? ...
> > yours
> > andy forbes

> I don't think that it's about 'developing' that's the problem it
> oxidation of the dough that isn't good for flavour.
>
> Jim

hmmmm

good point - so you are looking for more alcohol(s) and less CO2? -
but surely most oxygen is added in initial mix, clinging to flour or
whatever. I wouldn't think much more oxygen is added once ingredients
are incorporated by hand kneading or my Artofex which tends not to
chop up dough in its action the same way as a KitchenAid for example.

on 'leavener' this http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/ho.../entry?id=3254
treats 'leaven' as the verb

though I know your use as noun is also 'good English' I think in
baking its easily confused with 'levain' (the French) and therefore
can carry certain French SD methods connotations that could be
confusing, in the King James Bible 'leaven' clearly means specifically
yeast, and 'leavening agent' I think of as usually referring to a non-
biological 'leavener' and so I think maybe 'leavener' as a generic
word to cover all things which do leavening may have some purpose
after all.

yours
andy forbes

(multiple re-posts deleted - sorry all -especially those receiving in
mail box)