Posted to rec.food.sourdough
atty atty is offline

Default Endothermic reactions

(apologies again if this is double posted, http://groups.google.com
seems to be giving some false positives as to whether a post is
succesful - anybody else?)

On Mar 13, 2:21 am, "Will" > wrote:

> Outside of the protein stuff... it seems to me that there are flavor
> issues that have little to do with dough elasticity/extensibility. In
> my bread practice, aging the dough makes the bread taste better.
> Therefore developing gluten early is a bad thing. So I do not knead. I
> mix and let the dough rest for 16 hours. Then I proof and bake.
> Depending on how the dough "feels" after the rest, I will add stretch
> and folds in (or not), before the final proof.

Does gluten development block flavour development? Never heard or
thought of that one before. Certainly agree that the longer one leaves
any kneading, the less work needed, until its just same as shaping
loaf.

> I am not sure what I would do if I had an Artofex mixer. I would
> probably invite the neighbors over more often... we could watch it
> <g>. It seems to me that Artofexing would be perfect for all manner of
> faster yeast driven breads... and pretty good for making
> shortbreads... But it is not so clear how it would help with SD. SD
> still needs to age which means its gluten development is better
> retarded to coincide with the longer development cycle and so on.

ha
you have me there. Artofex design is meant to be gentlest action of
any mixer. When weather gets better and I am baking 8 loaf loads in
wood-fired oven then obviously just initial mixing is a bit much
manually - but at moment when I am baking 2 x 1.1 Kilo loaf at a
time ... I admit its tough not to use Artofex even when not needed -
its got to be only mixer one can imagine watching for pleasure of its
motion, now if it was steam driven as well ...

yours
andy forbes