Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Will[_1_] Will[_1_] is offline

Default Endothermic reactions

On Mar 12, 6:20 pm, "atty" > wrote:

> finally can I observe that 'old hands' on this mailing lists seem
> great at jumping in and advising newbies to sourdough, but less open
> to new ideas and enquiries themselves, seemingly jumping to conclusion
> other authors with some experience or knowledge are in an antagonistic
> and contradictory mode to themselves when benefit of doubt might
> reveal otherwise...

???

Fabulous sentence. Faulkner himself would have been impressed. But I
am not sure what it means... though I appreciate the dig at "old
hands" <g>.

Outside of the protein stuff... it seems to me that there are flavor
issues that have little to do with dough elasticity/extensibility. In
my bread practice, aging the dough makes the bread taste better.
Therefore developing gluten early is a bad thing. So I do not knead. I
mix and let the dough rest for 16 hours. Then I proof and bake.
Depending on how the dough "feels" after the rest, I will add stretch
and folds in (or not), before the final proof.

I am not sure what I would do if I had an Artofex mixer. I would
probably invite the neighbors over more often... we could watch it
<g>. It seems to me that Artofexing would be perfect for all manner of
faster yeast driven breads... and pretty good for making
shortbreads... But it is not so clear how it would help with SD. SD
still needs to age which means its gluten development is better
retarded to coincide with the longer development cycle and so on.

I guess that means I vote for Brownian motion or something...