Posted to rec.food.sourdough
TG[_3_] TG[_3_] is offline

Default Endothermic reactions

On 10 Mar, 19:35, "atty" > wrote:

> Sorry, but I find it hard to take that sole purpose of kneading/mixing
> is to add heat ...

Where did you get that from? I didn't say that at all.

> or alternately bakers
> do it either for amusement or by mistake. ... Why
> would generations of bakers spend time, energy and expense kneading if
> they could as easily add heat by adding hotter water and/or extra
> rising time?

I think I already answered that. But I'll have a go again.

1. Tradition, old habits die hard. 'That's the way I was shown, it
works and I never had the time or inclination to try something else.'

2. You can now put that dough aside for a few hours or so and get on
with something else.

3. Tighter does look more uniform for undiscerning customers who just
want bread that holds sandwich fillings well when sliced. Believe it
or not many people are only interested in appearance.

> One possible explanation.... and try and see how gluten development
> compares.
>
> yours
> andy forbes (atty)

Andy you could have made half a dozen different loaves using technique
or another and even looked up 'leavener' in a dictionary by now. The
simple fact is Andy I can bake bread like this:
http://tinyurl.com/29fclt
http://tinyurl.com/27os2p
http://tinyurl.com/yodyqn

by spending 10 seconds doing this:
http://tinyurl.com/yozhbh

rather than spending 10-20 minutes kneading or ££$$ on a mixer and
have spare space and time for other things. I think that's the bottom
line for me.

Or perhaps I'm just making it up and really spend 20 minutes kneading
and just want you to waste a few hours of your time and $0.50 worth of
flour.
I'll let you decide. Do whatevery floats your boat Andy. But stop
implying that those of us that don't knead are somehow just making it
up. It goes beyond belief.

Jim