Posted to alt.food.barbecue
badwolf badwolf is offline

Default Ebay Smoker Scams Warning

steve,

I’ve received emails from individuals whom I pretty much know for sure
are Eastern European scammers using web-based email services. One was
using Yahoo and claimed to be located in Texas, though I believe his
location to be Romania. In his emails, the originating IP would be,
e.g.,

Running a whois on this IP only gives me Yahoo’s base address in
California and there are no long strings of consecutive IP numbers in
the headers. However, in emails I get from anyone using web-based
email services, a number of lines will be present regarding "domain
key-signature". These are the lines I mentioned with long strings of
numbers and letters, and these lines never seem to appear in the
headers of those who have paid POP/SMTP accounts and are not using
web-based services. For example, the email with the "originating" IP
above (whose "whois" base address was definitely not the scammer’s
home address/home country) contained the following:

DomainKey-Signatu a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;
s=s1024; d=yahoo.com;
h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Receivedate:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding;
b=FAFkR3d6omYn6VtPjCY6+ymucO3MGorOR7WnFNqM9zKKBY2Y VIzJr+3TsECv1ikbjxS7MtbSLiBq30H6a1b9BDnFABJQLM5Kgv eJrpAZITqHIDIUmiNoahWdHjGhhm06GoQbfHXsQjo9z4a7XS2x TFp4IwOmGdSP3Y8BZpuPThM=
;

Do you know of any way to use this information to determine the actual
country/city of origin ??

badwolf

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 21:22:21 -0600, Steve Wertz