Posted to alt.food.wine
filippo[_2_] filippo[_2_] is offline

Default 'Chianti' Riserva?

der-pizzameister wrote:

> ... If you wish to have a good, although not
> typical, Chianti Riserva (just Chianti, not CC) you might consider this
> one:
>
> http://www.corzanoepaterno.it/vino_d...20Borri%202001
>
> That winery is almost on the border of the Chianti Classico production area.

By the way of this remark about production areas of wines branded as
Chianti, or Chianti Classico, ecc., and since there has been some
discussion a few weeks ago about the meaning of "Chianti" (i.e. as a
geographical in the first place, rather than just a wine denomination),
I think it might be found interesting, at least by some of you, the
following link to a Wikipedia page displaying a very handy map
which compares all the different "Chianti-something" areas:

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immagin...chianti_it.jpg

The blue-striped area is what corresponds to the actual Chianti
_district_, i.e. to the _geographical_ area known as Chianti,
administratively known as "Lega del Chianti" from the end of 13th
century to the end of 18th century and whose icon was a black rooster,
the so called "gallo nero". Most notably at the beginning of the 90s
Chianti Classico people were stopped by the Gallo bros from displaying
on their bottles sold on the American market such collective brand name,
and they also changed the name of the Consorzio, til that time named
Consorzio del Gallo Nero.