Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: 4 inexpensive wines (Zweigelt, Beaujolais, Macon and Pfalz)

With the Zuni (Judy Rodgers) chicken, the 2004 Schloss Gobelsburg
"Gobelsburger" Zweigelt. Light and bright, strawberry and raspberry
fruit, some light tannins. Not much on the finish, but it's a fairly
inexpensive bottling, so fills its niche. B

Betsy made a flank steak with a mustardy marinade, sweet potatoes, and
a broccoli/pea dish Tuesday. Wine was a 2005 Jadot Beaujolais-
Villages (375). I'm not usually a big fan of negociant Beaujolais,
but the ripeness of the vintage seems to have done well for Jadot.
Pretty red berry fruit , surprising tannins. Quite enjoyable. B/B+

After dinner Tues, after dinner Wed (I ate at a meeting with no wine),
and after dinner Thursday, the 2004 Kurt Darting Ungsteiner Herrenberg
Riesling Spätlese (Pfalz). Lime and a hint of white flowers, a bit too
sweet and ponderous for me. I really liked Darting as a QPR producer
in 2001, but subsequent vintages have proven too heavy/fat for me.
Did Darting change or did I? I think I'm just not a Pfalz guy (though
I'll never turn down an older Muller-Catoir!). B-

Thursday she made a pasta with tomato sauce with tarragon and a
lobster tail, with a separate course of kale over garlic rubbed toast
with cheese. Wine was the 2004 Domaine de Vercheres Macon-Villages.
Granny smith fruit and an edge of chalk, flavor profile is appealing
but a bit dilute and short. A little more there there, please. B-