Default Gourmet vs Bon Appetit?

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:15:57 GMT, Dawn >
wrote:

>Frogleg wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 19:12:41 GMT, Dawn >
>> wrote:
>>

>> No Cooks Illustrated or Cooking Light? IMHO, both Bon Ap and Gourmet
>> have turned into heavy packages of ads.

>Some other possible options are Food&Wine, Light&Tasty, and Quick Cooking.
>
>I seem to recall that Food&Wine was real light on recipes, and heavy on
>articles about how to be a cultured snob, and we don't drink wine anyway.
>
>The other two I have never heard of.
>
>I'm thinking I may go by Barnes and Noble and see if I can find
>newsstand issues of any of these titles....

Dawn - kind of depends what you want most. They both honestly have
faults and virtues and best for one isn't best for another.

I agree with people that BA has more recipes you're more apt to
actually use, but I also find all the stuff in it about dishes,
remodeling a kitchen and other decor sort of stuff really tedious.

On top of the recipes to impress more than to cook, Gourmet tends to
have too many restaurant reviews for my taste, in general and because
most of them are no place I'm ever going to go. BA has more the sort
of place you'd be apt to stop at on a cross country vacation. Gourmet
keeps you up on the NY & CA scenes and not a lot else. OTOH, Gourmet
tends to offer more/more extensive content for things like wine info
and travel/essays about a food related subject. Then again, back to
the recipes, I've always liked Gourmet's back page full of relatively
basic (for them) recipes on the same theme over BA's meaningless soft
interview with someone famous. Both have WAY too many ads now, in
general and ads pretending to be feature articles.

If I had to have only one or the other it would be BA because each
issue is more likely to have more I'm interested in. But I'd really
miss the occasional enormously enjoyable essay in Gourmet.

Kim
Make less less to reply