Posted to rec.food.cooking
Stan Horwitz Stan Horwitz is offline

Default Fun with Comcast tech support!

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> TRUE.
>
> Tech support?
>
> Andy: The giganews usenet newserver crashed.
>
> Jessica: Did you disable your antivirus protection?
>
> Andy: I'll bet a year's salary it's your fault not mine.
>
> Jessica: You should call giganews.
>
> Andy: It's a comcast service provided to subscribers, giganews.comcast.net!
>
> Jessica: I can't help you.
>
> Andy: Can I speak to a supervisor?
>
> Jessica: There's no one here. Just the people who walk around to make sure
> we're doing our job.
>
> SHOOT ME!!!!!!

Sometimes Comcast can have its moments. When the Super Bowl was on last
month, I decided to watch it at home on my high definition TV, so I
tuned into the HD channel to watch it and the channel was blank. All the
HD channels were blank. Ugh!

I called Comcast to complain. The first representative with whom I spoke
insisted that I did not subscribe to HDTV service. Wrong! I even pay
extra to have a DVR that can record HD shows and I pay Comcast for that
DVR. So, off to a supervisor, I went. On hold for five minutes, then I
am told its the wrong department. I was told that since I live in South
Jersey, I should have been transferred to another department, so off I
go on hold again while being transferred. Then talk, talk, talk, but get
nowhere. Then transfer, hold again. Finally, someone tells me, we are
having problems with the HDTV channels in my area. No kidding! I finally
just hung up. A few minutes later when I checked, the HDTV service was
restored.

Then there was the time several months ago, where for some reason, my
Comcast DVR started displaying an annoying screen saver at precisely
1:00am. I like to sometimes watch TV late at night and this screen saver
would kick in and blank out the picture with text floating around on the
screen that said to press any key to continue. I read all through the
DVR's manual and its online help and I went to the company's web site
that made the DVR, Scientific Atlanta, and I couldn't figure out how to
turn off that annoying screen saver. I still haven't figured it out, and
calling Comcast to have them tell me how to disable it got me nowhere.
They insist that my TV is doing that, which is flat out wrong. My
solution will be to buy a TiVo and get rid of the Comcast crappy DVR,
but I am waiting for a HDTV compatible TiVo that hopefully allows me to
save shows on external storage. Sigh!