Posted to rec.food.cooking
Emma Thackery Emma Thackery is offline

Default Seasoning

In article >,
Peter A > wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> > What I was (sloppily) commenting on was the mistaken notion that the
> > exact combination of proteins must be taken in at the same *meal*. Same
> > day appears to be adequate. And also, many people seem to assume that a
> > vegetarian diet has no sources of complete proteins and, of course, that
> > is incorrect. There are significant non-meat sources of complete
> > proteins.

> As far as I know, that is not true. No single vegetable source has
> complete protein.

Soy is a well-established source of all amino acids in abundance.
Actually most (not all) vegetables also have all the 20 or so aminos as
well--- just not enough of the essential ones.

> ... If you have legitimate information to the contrary,
> I'd like to know about it.

First of all, I did not say "vegetable source"; I said "non-meat source"
and the two are not the same. Milk, cheese, eggs, quinoa, soy, whey,
yogurt, ice cream, and spirulina are all non-meat sources of complete
protein. Buckwheat and amaranth are very close to complete. Some
vegetarians also eat fish which is also a source of complete protein in
abundance. This is information that has been widely available for many
years now.