Posted to rec.food.equipment
Joe Cilinceon Joe Cilinceon is offline

Default Cutlery & More -

Dee Dee wrote:
> That's very interesting. I did a compare on his ebay site and in
> order of price, hard maple was lowest, then closest to hard maple was
> african mahogany; then 50% more is black cherry - $100 hard maple, vs.
> $155 for black cherry.
>
> There is a black cherry tree in my yard identified by a landscape man
> years ago. It is very tall. He asked me if I was thinking of selling
> it; that a lot of people would like it for cabinetry. I hadn't
> thought of the value for it for 'cutting boards.'
>
> Researching just now an Oregon myrtlewood
> http://www.myrtlewoodgallery.com/what_is_myrtlewood.htm
> I bought a large cutting board made from it years ago on a coastal
> trip, a big hunk about 6" thick that was polished up for a cutting
> board which I used many years and got tired of hauling it around. I
> don't know how it ranks in hardness compared to the hard maple,
> african mahogany or black cherry. It seemed pretty hard at the time.
> Nowadays I just use plastic boards.
>
> By Joe Yonan
> The Washington Post
> Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2007
>
> Question: How long does a good wooden cutting board last? Mine is
> about 2 years old and is starting to get a bit of an odor. I use it
> frequently, washing it with warm soapy water. Am I doing something
> wrong?
>
> Answer: You probably haven't kept up with the oiling, which seals
> wood. Whenever the board seems dry, rub it down with mineral or other
> food-safe oil, let it sit for at least 15 minutes, and wipe away the
> excess.
>
> For ideas on getting that odor out, we asked John Boos & Co., maker of
> high-quality boards and butcher blocks. The company recommends
> sprinkling the board liberally with salt, then using cut lemon or lime
> quarters to rub the salt in, squeezing juice as you go. Let it sit for
> a few minutes, then wipe with a damp cloth. Boos president Joe
> Emmerich says that with proper care under normal use, a good board
> will last indefinitely. ``I have some at home that are more than 25
> years old,'' he says.
>
> Hmmm. My maiden name is Emmerich (a spelling variation), wonder if I
> can get a deal? :-))
>
> Thanks for the info, Joe.
> Dee

The last wooden board I had lasted me about 30 years and it was maple. I use
only poly now however mostly due to space restrictions. My old wooden board
was really large, so I gave it to one of my kids who is still using it. It
has lasted close to 40 years now and still going strong. I recommend only
buying end grain boards as they are easier on the knife and less apt to
warp. Now that is just my personal opinion and I could be wrong.

--

Joe Cilinceon