Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Dee Dee Dee is offline

Default Cutlery & More -

On Mar 4, 7:47 pm, "wff_ng_7" > wrote:
> "Dee Dee" > wrote:
> > I want to order the 12" Emerilware skillet/frypan (made by All-Clad).
> > I've read most of the Emerilware vs. All-Clad by searching the
> > groups; and as I've never owned All-Clad, I don't know what I'm
> > missing.

> I just wanted to clear up a misconception you might have. That is, "made by
> All-Clad". A more accurate description might be "designed by All-Clad with
> input from Emeril, made in the Far East (outsourced) with some other
> company". Even a lot of All-Clad branded products are not actually made by
> All-Clad these days. The ones that are made by All-Clad themselves is pretty
> much confined to their fully clad (up the sides) All-Clad branded products.
> All of their utensils, all of their aluminum disk bottom cookware is made by
> someone else. It may be a joint venture they have going, but it is still not
> what I consider an actual All-Clad product.

I'm sure that fully-clad will always make a difference in cooking in
pots and fry-pans with covers, but I'm thinking that fry pans might
not need the fully-clad feature 'As Much.' Just a ponderance on my
part. That's a job for America's Test Kitchen or CI.

> All-Clad itself used to be a Pennsylvania based company with manufacturing
> in Pennsylvania, but last I checked it was itself under foreign ownership...
> several times! It was owned by Waterford-Wedgewood (Ireland) for a while,
> but is now owned by SEB (France). But that was last summer. Who knows who
> owns it now.

I am left to wonder if Ireland or France are outsourcing to Far
Eastern Countries.
I prefer to buy Italian (made) cookware or electrical appliances, but
that's not easy to find

> All this doesn't necessarily have much to do with the quality of the
> Emerilware products. You'll have to judge that for yourself. I do have quite
> a number of All-Clad pieces (USA made) and am very satisfied with them, but
> given the choice again I wouldn't get the LTD line (anodized exterior) as it
> is harder to keep clean. For that matter, given the choice again, I'm not
> sure I'd get All-Clad. I'd have to evaluate what's out there now.

I will be evaluating the 12" Emerilware skillet against the Kirkland
Italian-made stainless 8" and 10" skillets, which I like. The
descriptions sound similar, but it's hard to break apart the
vernacular. Fully clad is easy to understand.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Dee