Posted to rec.food.equipment
wff_ng_7 wff_ng_7 is offline

Default Cutlery & More -

"Dee Dee" > wrote:
> I want to order the 12" Emerilware skillet/frypan (made by All-Clad).
> I've read most of the Emerilware vs. All-Clad by searching the
> groups; and as I've never owned All-Clad, I don't know what I'm
> missing.

I'm coming into this late again and see you've already ordered.

I just wanted to clear up a misconception you might have. That is, "made by
All-Clad". A more accurate description might be "designed by All-Clad with
input from Emeril, made in the Far East (outsourced) with some other
company". Even a lot of All-Clad branded products are not actually made by
All-Clad these days. The ones that are made by All-Clad themselves is pretty
much confined to their fully clad (up the sides) All-Clad branded products.
All of their utensils, all of their aluminum disk bottom cookware is made by
someone else. It may be a joint venture they have going, but it is still not
what I consider an actual All-Clad product.

All-Clad itself used to be a Pennsylvania based company with manufacturing
in Pennsylvania, but last I checked it was itself under foreign ownership...
several times! It was owned by Waterford-Wedgewood (Ireland) for a while,
but is now owned by SEB (France). But that was last summer. Who knows who
owns it now.

All this doesn't necessarily have much to do with the quality of the
Emerilware products. You'll have to judge that for yourself. I do have quite
a number of All-Clad pieces (USA made) and am very satisfied with them, but
given the choice again I wouldn't get the LTD line (anodized exterior) as it
is harder to keep clean. For that matter, given the choice again, I'm not
sure I'd get All-Clad. I'd have to evaluate what's out there now.