Posted to rec.food.cooking
blake murphy blake murphy is offline

Default Oops, I left a pot of tomato sauce out all night

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 12:26:32 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>>
>> christ, do you want to live forever? what do you wear when you leave
>> the house? there are meteorites everywhere.

>I know of only one person being hit by a meteor,
>and she lived. The risk of death appears to be
>much less than one in a billion per century.
>
>http://www.brainyhistory.com/events/...54_116289.html
>
>What's the risk of death from food poisoning?
>About 1 in 60,000 per year.
>
>Quoting from
>http://www.fda.gov/cvm/Guidance/Guide122.htm
>
>"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
>has estimated that known food borne pathogens
>account for 14 million illnesses, 60,000
>hospitalizations and 1,800 deaths to humans
>in the United States each year. Total food borne
>illness from both known and unknown pathogens is
>likely to be responsible for 76 million cases,
>325,000 hospitalizations and 5,000 deaths
>annually."

i'd be willing to bet that a very small percentage of those deaths
occurred because of unsafe practices in home kitchens. yes, some
people will insist on infusing garlic in oil, but i bet few of them
get botulism. some foolhardy persons will cut up vegetables after
using the boards for chickens. oh noes!!! but the bodies aren't
exactly piling up in the streets.

your pal,
blake