Steve Calvin

Default Electric cooktops - recommendations please

Gini wrote:

> > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>Carling Lake > wrote in message

> >. ..
>
>>>I'll be buying an electric smoothtop cooktop sometime very soon and
>>>I'd like to know which are considered good....and which are not.
>>>
>>>I'm considering the Wolf, with electronic controls.....anyone have
>>>one of these and can comment?
>>>thanks,
>>>Carly

>>As 'a guy who cooks most of his meals at home with his wife' and has a
>>smoothtop, i'll offer my observations on features. Since you didn't
>>ask for alternatives to smoothtop, i won't talk about that except for
>>one thing. If you end up having liquid spill over the tops of your
>>pots often while you cook, don't get a smooth top. While smoothtops
>>are much easier to clean in all other cases, the stuff that boils over
>>from pots ends up burning on the element and making a hell of a mess
>>that must be dealt with immediatly instead of just draining underneath
>>for cleanup afterwards.

> ==
> I hear this on occaison from other smoothtop owners and it surprises me that
> "spillovers" are considered a drawback of smoothtops.
> Certainly spills must be cleaned up right away. I thought everyone did this
> no matter what surface elements they have.
> Spills on a smoothtop are *much* easier to clean up than recessed elements
> (coil, gas). All it takes
> is a swipe of a towel. I have a large family and my rangetop looks as it did
> the day we bought it--not because
> I'm impeccable, but because it is so easy to wipe clean and polish when
> needed.
> ==
> ==

I agree. (Although ours is a full range vs a cooktop) We have no
problems with clean-ups even with boil overs. You need to let the unit
cool down first though. Then there's a cleaning liquid and pad for the
top that works great. If there's something really burnt on (only
happened a couple of times so far) we keep a single sided razor blade
handy, problem solved. I don't see how it could get easier.