Posted to rec.food.sourdough
atty atty is offline

Default Don't knock it if you haven't tried it....

On Feb 27, 4:01 pm, Mike Avery > wrote:
> atty wrote:

> Light white breads, sweet breads (not sweetbreads, they are something
> different), rolls, ryes, whole wheat, Challah, sandwich bread, French
> bread, baguettes, Italian breads and on and on and on... the breads were
> all sourdough breads. If you make them with sourdough today, you are
> returning these breads to traditional ways they were once made.

I think certain bread styles, as they are currently recognised, are
probabaly easier to get right with commercial yeast - indeed the
accepted 'best of kind' style in some cases may have evolved since the
introduction of commercial yeast to take advantage of its qualities
(lots of bubbles fast and predictably). Some 'styles', for instance
white sandwich (as on the supermarket shelf in plastic bag) I can't
really imagine making with a sourdough, and of coursefor that much not
yeasted at all but Chorley Wood process. We might hate that style but
small kids still go for it in preference to anything else in my
experience (is it just cause its sweet without hardly any crust?).

I was once taken to a 'trendy' restuarant in hip part of Barcelona
which served only what spanish call 'english bread' (untoasted) with a
selection of hot wet/sauce 'world ingredients' in between, for
instance curry between sandwich loaf slices, hawain style with
pineapple sandwich etc etc served on plate with knife and fork - one
of the most disgusting things I have ever been asked to eat and which
thankfully I haven't encountered anywhere since.

> > question, what kind of surface/banetton or whatever can one do a
> > single proof rising in so the dough won't stick to the surface of
> > whatever. Its quite touch and go with my flour lined, linen lined
> > banetton for two hours as it is? would like to know since rustic and
> > wet style is my preference

> While I know that this can be done, it isn't something that works for
> the styles of breads I make. Of course, I also don't use bannetons or
> brotformen for my commercial breads. I just form the loaves after the
> first rise, put them on bakers parchment, lightly spray them with olive
> oil, and cover them loosely with cling wrap.

hmm
my typical dough probably too wet to do a single proof free standing,
but oiled container might work (in fact I did try this before for
final proof with reasonable success). I did also find out by accident
on recent spanish travels with shop brought 'banneton' as bread basket
novelty type things (really being used as bannetons) that if the
bottom of the linen liner is not sowed down if there is any sticking
during turn out, linen comes with the dough rather than dough sticking
to bottom of basket, dough is thus easier to gently detach if stuck
any where, without so much stretching and mishaping resulting.

yours
atty