Posted to alt.food.barbecue
swibirun swibirun is offline

Default Odd brisket

The wife and I went to Famous Dave's BBQ today for lunch. The spare ribs
and chicken were about as good as you can expect from a commercial BBQ
place. But the brisket was unlike any I've seen (not in a good way).

The brisket had absolutely zero smoke ring. The weird thing is the side
that had been the bottom of the brisket had a very thin "bark" on it. The
top had none of that "bark" at all. The slices had a uniform brownish
color all the way through (again, no smoke ring). And a somewhat salty
taste.

Alexis, who has only had my smoked brisket, was disappointed. Her question
cracked me up. She didn't ask how they cooked it. She asked me, "What
HAPPENED to that?"

My only guess was that they used some kind of liquid smoke/rub on the
bottom, seared it, and then threw it in a regular oven. Ick.

Chris (hoping for good smoking weather this weekend!)
http://inanethoughtsandinsaneramblings.blogspot.com