Posted to rec.food.sourdough
atty atty is offline

Default Sourdough in a masonry oven

> Supposedly the times that the oven reaches certain temperatures is
> consistent and predictable. For example, it might always be bread
> temperature 5 hours after firing. So, if the dough's timing is predictable
> too, it should be possible to coordinate them to occur at the same time.

if you bake at regular intervals (preferrably often), keep your
sourdough culture fresh and well fed, don't tend towards experimenting
with or tweaking your recipe then yes, your total proofing time should
be pretty predicatble. However if you like fairly cold proofing (and
retarding) and like to tweak/experiment (like me I guess) you may find
main proof time (basically dough should double in size) is up to one
or two hours out from anticipated. I guess I get stricter and less
experimental with myself (and the dough) when I am going to use my
wood-fired oven than when I turn a knob.

laters
andy f