Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

Default Bread rating systems

On 16 Feb 2007 04:35:17 -0800, "Monte"
> wrote:

>If no scale, what are the characteristics that
>generally define good bread? Other than I like it or not?

Howdy,

There are "styles" to bread, just as there are in brewing,
but for some reason nobody seems to mention them much when
baking.

So, suppose you are trying to make a particular flat bread,
and yours is three inches thick. You might want to figure
out why, and then make modifications to allow yours to come
closer to the type of bread you are trying to bake.

Similarly, if your "pain de mie" (a French sandwich bread)
has a very coarse crumb (large holes) you might want to try
to get the very fine crumb that is considered to be the
hallmark of that type of bread.

Beyond that sort of thing, "I like it or not" is the way to
go. It is food after all...

All the best,
--
Kenneth