Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Monte Monte is offline

Default Bread rating systems

I'm relatively new to the bread making process and while I think I'm
improving, I'm not sure how far, how fast and don't really know where
I'm headed. I keep making loaf after loaf and I think they're getting
better, but then my wife will have a piece and ask why I'm not doing
as well as I was 3 weeks ago. I'm trying to keep some notes, but they
aren't as descriptive as I'd like. I suppose part of the issue is
getting used to the terminology and such, but it seems like their
might be some grading process whereby you could more objectively
evaluate the results of you effort. Kind of like the 100 point scale
on wines. So, you'd know you were making 90 point bread a month ago,
but now they're all in the mid 80s. Or, I was making 50s and have
improved over the last month to 80s. Probably being too anal, but is
there anything? If no scale, what are the characteristics that
generally define good bread? Other than I like it or not?