Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios Tzortzakakis Dimitrios is offline

Default "Variable heat" electric range available anywhere?

Ο "Sharon" > έγραψε στο μήνυμα
> In article >, Peter A

> writes:
> > In article >,
> > says...
> >> Does anyone manufacture a "variable heat" electric range, where when

you
> >> select the heat setting, it would have a constant heat at a certain
> >> temperature? (Like you can do with a gas range...)
> >>

> > Why do you want this? The on/off technique works just fine in my
> > experience. The thermal mass of the burner and the pan even things out.
> > For example, when I am simmering a soup on low, the soup simmers at an
> > even, constant rate even though the element is on for 2 seconds then off
> > for 10 (more or less).

> I'm with the OP. I was just commenting that this kind of thing would
> be nice to my husband yesterday as I was making our week's dinners. We

have a
> ****-poor glass-topped electric stove. We think it's crappy because it

might
> be low-watt, but don't know for sure. It can't boil a gallon of water

unless
> it's tightly lidded, and even then it takes over a half an hour.
> Last weekend, I was making a roux, and I really noticed how poor it is
> there too. I had trouble getting the correct temp to cook the roux - it

cooked
> fine while the burner was on, but all cooking stopped when the burner

cycled
> off. We HATE the thing.

Well, excuse me, but in EU (at least in Greece)glass-topped electric stoves
are state-of-the-art, and very expensive, and very robust, and efficient,
too.The traditional stove has four hobs with the elements inside a ring of
iron (not steel),ours is glass-topped (or better, glass-ceramic, and cost
like, 700 euros, while a cheap iron one, like 400-500 euros.