Posted to rec.food.equipment
wff_ng_7 wff_ng_7 is offline

Default Replacement pan handles?

"Jack" > wrote:
>> My only concern about glueing it is that the screw thread will get hot
>> - is epoxy glue OK at quite high temperatures?
>>

> No, epoxy will become soft. There might be some high temperature epoxies
> around but don't know any. The toothpick thing may work but I never had
> much luck with it as it usually comes apart, given enough time.

Most epoxies should be able to take the heat, and certainly a high
temperature one would. The peak temperature for a lid would be limited to
about 212 degrees F, the boiling point of water. If one is planning on
putting the lid in the oven, then the temperature could go higher of course,
but most knobs on lids are probably not designed for that to begin with,
except on a few products like Le Creuset's "dutch" ovens.

Here is a list of epoxies by Master Bond, and all have service temperatures
of at least 250 degrees F. Some are in the 400 to 500 degree F range, while
one is 600 degrees F, not that you are going to find it at your local
hardware store. I wouldn't worry about not taking the heat for any stovetop
application.

http://www.masterbond.com/sg/masterbond_2ptsg.pdf