Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking
pltrgyst[_1_] pltrgyst[_1_] is offline

Default Easy home-made pizza (with picture). Eat your heart out.

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 23:49:03 +0100, (Victor Sack) wrote:

>Pizza is a very traditional dish, taken very seriously in Italy, and
>making it in a non-traditional way renders it not a pizza. Here is how
>traditional pizza is supposed to be made - it is all but impossible to
>reproduce this at home, lacking a commercial-grade wood-fired oven.
><http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/images/file/disciplinare_stg_eng.pdf>.

No, it renders it not an official Neapolitan pizza. Period. It's just another EU
protected name and concept, like AOCs.

"The "Associazone Verace Pizza Napoletana" ("True Neapolitan Pizza
Association"), which was founded in 1984 and only recognises the Marinara and
Margherita, has set the very specific rules that must be followed for an
authentic Neapolitan pizza. These include that the pizza must be baked in a
wood-fired, domed oven at 485C for no more than 60 to 90 seconds; that the base
must be hand-kneaded and must not be rolled with a pin or prepared by any
mechanical means and that the pizza must not exceed 35 cm in diameter or be more
than a third of a cm thick at the centre."

Just as following all the rules but making it 36 cm. diameter would render it
not a Neapolitan pizza. No more, no less.

Or making other than a marinara or margherita pizza.

And we all know how *every* artisan in Europe is 100% behind all the new EU
regs, eh?

BTW, there's an awful lot of crap pizza in Naples these days. I'd say NYC is
more consistent, so long as you ignore any Chicago or deep-dish wanna-bes.

-- Larry