Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment
Dee Dee Dee Dee is offline

Default "Variable heat" electric range available anywhere?

On Feb 12, 2:58 pm, Chris Friesen > wrote:
> Lou Decruss wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:22:38 -0600, "Steve Barker"
> > > wrote:
> >>I think the main question here is why would anyone who does any serious
> >>amount of cooking want an electric range to begin with? No real cooking can
> >>be done on them.

> > Nonsense. Maybe 50 years ago, but today electric smoothtops have
> > just as much heat and control as gas.

> There's an element of truth to it. Unless you use an induction element,
> you cannot turn an electric element *down* quickly...it takes some time
> for the heat in the element to dissipate.

> Chris

I bought two Berghof induction units, and like them. As far as
turning down an induction element quickly, the induction plate/element
still holds the heat from the pan, while it is being turned down. I
have not tried the induction by turning it from a 10 to a 1 to see how
long it takes to stop boiling; vs. turning the range unit from a 10
to a 1 to see how long it will take to stop boiling.
>From cooking with both, but neither one for a loooooong time, I would

say the induction takes less time to stop boiling.
However, this was not the question, I realize, as the OP's emphasis is
on creating a invariable/non-variable heat.
Dee