Posted to rec.food.equipment
Jack[_12_] Jack[_12_] is offline

Default Replacement pan handles?

"naked_draughtsman" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Feb 10, 4:19 pm, Cape Cod Bob >
> wrote:
>
>> If that fails and you don't care that the handle will never come off
>> the lid again, it can be easily repaired by using epoxy glue (2 part
>> glue) to glue the lid and handle. The epoxy glue will secure pretty
>> much anything to anything. A small two tube kit of 5 minute epoxy
>> costs about $5 in the US.

> My only concern about glueing it is that the screw thread will get hot
> - is epoxy glue OK at quite high temperatures?

No, epoxy will become soft. There might be some high temperature epoxies
around but don't know any. The toothpick thing may work but I never had much
luck with it as it usually comes apart, given enough time.

I just fixed one for my MIL. She bought a repair handle kit but took me
about 1/2 hour to put it together. I had to grind the existing threaded stud
on the cover off and drill a new hole to receive the new handle. But the
inside thread (female) on the new handle stripped too so I had to tap
(re-thread) out the handle, drill a larger hole on the cover and find a
matching screw. Now its better than new.

She has now a bunch of covers with broken handles for me to fix but she has
no idea of how much time require to fix it and I'm not going to tell her. I
think I'm going to invest in a plastic welder. :-)