Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default "Variable heat" electric range available anywhere?

On Feb 12, 10:03?am, "Bill" > wrote:
> Does anyone manufacture a "variable heat" electric range, where when you
> select the heat setting, it would have a constant heat at a certain
> temperature? (Like you can do with a gas range...)
>
> This would be sort of like a dimmer switch for a light where you can adjust
> how much light is output from the bulb.
>
> The way electric ranges work now is they go on and off, on and off.
>
> Less heat means the "burner" goes on for a little while, then off for quite
> awhile. Then with more heat, the "burner" is on for a long time, then off
> for a little amount of time.
>
> With a gas range, you can adjust the heat so it is constant - no off and on.
> Seems they could do this with an electric range as well....

Electric cook tops do not cycle on and off, only the oven does because
it is thermostatically controlled, exactly the same as with gas
ovens. I don't think you understand your own question... I think what
you want is an electric cooktop with a constantly varible control
rather than with preset detents as most all incorporate, but such a
system would serve no purpose because you cannot visually interpolate
the heat setting directly as one can with an open flame... having
preset detents makes more sense with electric cooking. If you really
want constant variable control buy an inexpensive electric hot
plate... perhaps buy an electric fry pan... or get a gas stove.

Sheldon