Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Default "Variable heat" electric range available anywhere?

Hello, Bill!
You wrote on Mon, 12 Feb 2007 07:03:35 -0800:

B> This would be sort of like a dimmer switch for a light where
B> you can adjust how much light is output from the bulb.

B> The way electric ranges work now is they go on and off, on
B> and off.

B> Less heat means the "burner" goes on for a little while,
B> then off for quite awhile. Then with more heat, the "burner"
B> is on for a long time, then off for a little amount of time.

I don't know if such "variable" ranges exist but the off and on
process seems to work OK if the response is fast as it seems to
be on my stove. I wonder how variable heat would work, not I
hope like the dimmer on my outside lights that kills fluorescent
bulbs on the same circuit!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: