Boron Elgar

Default Can Teflon make you sick?

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:56:19 GMT, "Frank Logullo"
> wrote:

>"dalton" > wrote in message
>> KATU 2 News - Portland, Oregon
>> www.katu.com
>>
>> Can Teflon make you sick?

>The answer is yes but the rest of the article is BS. Polymer fume fever is
>well documented.
>Pyrolysis products hexafluoropropylene and perfluoroisobutylene are main
>cause and effect is reversible.
>Birds are particularly susceptible because of their high respiration rate -
>note that canaries were used to detect gas problems in mines. If you were
>to burn bacon in an iron pan in the kitchen without exhaust, the fumes could
>kill your pet bird.

I have certainly seen this often enough in articles that reference
birds, but I have to say that I have a lot of Teflon coated pans, my 4
birds are in 2 cages in the kitchen for many, many years. Though I
consider myself a decent cook, I have also had my share of cooking
"whoopsies," but still never managed to kill any budgies or lovebirds.

I think it must have to be extreme to harm the birdies. By the time it
gets to the point that the birds are being done in, I think you'd darn
near be on the phone calling the fire department or the EMTs.

Boron