Posted to rec.food.equipment
wff_ng_7 wff_ng_7 is offline

Default Replacement pan handles?

"naked_draughtsman" > wrote:
> My mum gave me one of her old cast aluminium saucepans (made by Club)
> which is older than I am. This week the handle on the lid came off
> and the threads inside the handle have been stripped so it won't screw
> back on.
> I've bought a new pyrex lid from a kitchen shop but it's not very good
> as it doesn't fit very well despite being just bigger than the pan and
> I was wondering if anyone had any ideas where I can find a new handle
> for the orginal lid.

Something you might want to try is buying a knob for a kitchen drawer or
cabinet and using it to replace the original knob on the lid. You might have
to get a shorter screw than comes with the new knob, because it only has to
go through the thin lid rather than the thicker cabinet front. You can
either cut the supplied screw to the required length, or get a replacement
screw of the correct length.

The potential downside of this method is most cabinet knobs are metal, so
would get hot. But you should be able to find a wood knob that would do the
job. As long as you aren't planning on putting the pan in the oven, most
knob materials would work fine.