Default Gourmet vs Bon Appetit?

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 19:12:41 GMT, Dawn >
wrote:

>Given a choice between Bon Appetit and Gourmet, which would you choose
>and why? I think I used to subscribe to Bon Appetit years and years ago,
>but I have no idea what either magazine is like these days.
>
>Mostly I do simple home cooking, but I entertain on occasion, and I
>enjoy trying new recipes.

Frankly, I've never really enjoyed Gourmet all that much. Too much
restaurant and "big" stuff, not enough cooking.

I really like Taunton's Fine Cooking, but Bon Appetit takes a fairly
close second. I've yet to make a "bad" dish out of Bon Appetit, and
the instructions (I'm not a huge "recipe" person, but if it's the
first time I'm making something, I like it. Once I've got it down, I
can usually just get through it without written direction) are clear
and pretty easy to follow.

BTW, I like the "RSVP" section in Bon Appetit. Folks write in
commenting on dishes the enjoyed at fine restaurants/hotels/B&Bs, and
the Bon Appetit staff contact said establishment and provide the
recipe. They had a flourless chocolate cake that was to die for.

Bob