Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Dee Dee Dee is offline

Default 14-inch skillet question

On Feb 1, 7:34 pm, "wff_ng_7" > wrote:
> "Dee Dee" > wrote:
> > I just don't like that 'extra' heat showing, although I'm not exactly
> > sure why? Burnt fingers, burnt rag? Wasting fuel?; i.e., would it be
> > more economical or a more efficient way to cook using a smaller
> > burner? Does anyone else feel that way?

> I haven't had an electric stove in about 15 years, so this might be
> outdated. When I did have one, and had the user manual to go with it, I'm
> pretty sure it said not to cook with a burner smaller than the pan. I
> believe it puts extra thermal stresses on the burner which shortens its
> life.
>
> Electric burners of the coil type can definitely "wear out". I've got an old
> element from my parent's stove that failed after about 20 years of use. The
> coil is broken through at a few points, I presume from being overheated
> repeatedly. Anyway, they wouldn't be selling replacement coils as widely as
> they do (in local hardware stores, etc.), if they didn't fail with some
> regularity.
>
> ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Thanks.
On my Jennair stove on which I used the ceramic elements, coil
elements, and seldom the grill, and finally the somooth top elements,
during the period of use during 1993 to just recently, I replaced the
total coil elements twice. I'm not certain if they were replaced
during 1988 to 1993.
You might have something there.
Dee