Joe Doe

Default Chicken stock and stock pots

In article >, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> DawnK wrote:
> >
> > "S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> > > The 5th edition of The New Professional Chef has these definitions:
> > >
> > > stock - A flavorful liquid prepared by simmering meat, poultry, seafood,
> > > and/or vegetables in water with aromatics until their flavor is extracted.
> > > It is used as a base for soups, sauces, and other preparations.
> > >
> > > broth - A flavorful, aromatic liquid made by simmering water or stock with
> > > meat, vegetables, and/or spices and herbs.

> > To me, those sound like pretty much the same thing.
> >

> They do, don't they!

The distinction is the last line for the entry on stocks i.e it is used
as a base for......

A broth is considered a finished product. A stock is an intermediate
product used for other stuff.

To please the pedants I have looked at Larousse Gastronomique and they
more or less confirm this as does the Oxford Companion to Food.
Incidentally, both these sources and others (Cooks Illustrated best Soup
recipes etc.) say that the distinction has broken down and in contemporary
usage are interchangeable. The Larousse entry in the latest American
edition actually says to look up broth under bouillion and then bouillion
is listed as Bouillion (stock)!!!! This was not the case in some older
editions. The entry under stock does make the distinciton outlined above
in the very first line.

Cooks Illustrated takes an even more bizarre step. They say in common
household understanding stock is homemade and broth is store bought and
they will follow that convention!!

Roland