Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charlotte L. Blackmer Charlotte L. Blackmer is offline

Default Tater Tot Hotdish

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>In article >,
> Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:
>
>> Not something i would fix for myself, "frozen vegetables" oy! but i am
>> guilty of sprinkling cheddar cheese over tater tots and baking them.

>Oy? What do you have against frozen vegetables? I've eaten frozen corn
>(kernels) that was a lot tastier than some fresh I've eaten. Frozen
>peas? What's wrong with those? I prefer fresh green beans - in fact,
>I use frozen ones only in vegetable soup.

Yeah, what's up with that?

When I was a kid growing up in one of the richest vegetable-growing areas
in the US (California's Central Valley), it was my mom's default for "the
fresh doesn't look good/is way out of season and costs way too much". Mom
is still picky about produce.*

She disliked most canned veggies, having had a quantity of bad experiences
as a girl: a father who shopped the dented-can specials and stored them
forever, summer cannery work as a teen, and horrid dorm food. Canned corn
(and of course tomato products) were about the only veg we saw in cans in
the house. Frozen was next-best to fresh in her mind. She was particular
on the brands she bought (some are better than others).

* When she had a bad bout of arthritis and couldn't get out much, my dad
took over the grocery shopping. He got told in no uncertain terms to
only buy produce at Raley's (very conscientious local chain) and at the
farmstand because she was not pleased with the quality at other markets.

Barb, if I ever see tater tots at the food bank, or I see everything else
but tater tots, I'd so make this in mass quantities for my feed-the-hungry
exercise ... it would probably be a huge hit. Comfort food, and I say it
as someone who always ate tater tots on the side . mmm mmm mmm, crispy
potatoes ...

Charlotte