Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Dee Dee Dee is offline

Default 14-inch skillet question

As a 'normal' skillet flares out about 2 inches, a so-called 12"
skillet (measured across the top) actually is about 10 inches of
bottom cooking surface.

As my largest (6"/9"/12") tri-burner actually measures 6", 8-1/2" and
11", then my recently purchased Lodge 12" skillet which measures
10-1/2 will fit onto the 11" burner (leaving 1/2" of red-heat
unexposed to a skillet).

As I for the first time saw a 14" skillet (at BJ's I think) and had no
tape measure to measure the bottom cooking surace (and it did flare
out a lot), I'm thinking, perhaps 14" skillets are in actuality used
for 12" burners which are in actuality 11" burners. AARRRGGGH!!

I don't believe there is a skillet that will fit correctly on all
these different-sized rings, but I am wondering what the 14" NON-STICK
skillet is used on - a 12" ring that is 11"? Does the 14" flare out
totally 3"?

I haven't yet seen a 14" stainless steel skillet. But I'm thinking if
I buy a 12" stainless steel for my 11" burner, it may or may not fit.
A mystery!

Dee