Old 06-10-2003, 02:02 AM
Vox Humana

Default Good stock pots for boiling water on ceramic top range

"LRod" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 00:04:17 GMT, Colin wrote:

Peter,

Your understanding of physics is slightly incorrect.

Note that silver and copper are the best conductors, as they are very
dense, compared to aluminum, the third best conductor.

I sucked at chemistry, but aren't they good conductors because of the
free electrons they have, not density. Lead is much denser, for
example, but is quite a poor conductor of heat.

I found it interesting that you neglected to mention the heat
conductivity of stainless steel, which is much, much poorer than
aluminum. It always makes me wonder why so many people go gaga over
stainless steel cookware.

A pan of 100% stainless isn't the best option. Stainless isn't reactive and
cleans well. It makes a great interior for cookware. When you combine it
with a better conductor like aluminum or copper you have the best of both
worlds. The cookware that people recommend here is always some form for
stainless that has a core of aluminum or copper or disk bonded to the
bottom. Most often the exterior is also stainless because it is durable and
can be washed in a dishwasher. All-Clad makes a line of cookware that has
an exterior of brushed aluminum and an interior of stainless.