Vox Humana

Default Is ventilation really necessary?

"Dave Bugg" <dbuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> Peter Aitken wrote:
>
> > .... If
> > resale value is a consideration, be aware that many if not most
> > serious cooks consider a good outside-venting hood to be an essential
> > element of a kitchen - myself included! It is extremely unleasant to
> > have the smell of sauteed garlic or stir-fried Szechuan hot pepper
> > paste permeatng the rest of the house including the sleeping area!
> > Also a range, particularly gas, can add a lot of heat to the house -
> > not good in the summer here in North Carolina! But you never used
> > your old hood, so maybe your house is laid out so that these things
> > are not a problem?

> Big time dittos and agreement. It would be a foolish child that did not

heed
> this sound advice.

I'll pile on and say that ventilation may not be necessary but it is very
desirable. Even though a downdraft unit isn't ideal it would be better than
nothing. I think that Thermadore makes a 45 inch telescoping downdraft unit
that can be used with a slide-in range. You can get details at their web
page. I have a JennAir range. I did some kitchen renovation and replaced
the OTR microwave. This time around I vented it to the outside. The
combination of the downdraft and the microwave hood is very good. I can
testify that poor ventilation will result in a film of oil on your cabinets,
walls, drapes, and upholstery. The build-up is slow and subtle, but it
happens.