Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
The Galloping Gourmand The Galloping Gourmand is offline

Default Mexican food is a ceremony!

On Jan 28, 10:18�am, "Wayne Lundberg" >
wrote:

> You would be disappointed with my recipe for Biste a la Tampiquena because
> it is nothing more than *a nice broiled steak on a wide plate, scoop of
> refried beans on one end with the right amount of tortilla chips, a scoop of
> guacamole on the other end, and three rolled red cheese or chicken
> enchiladas above the steak. Which, in your unhumble opinion are nothing more
> than antojitos to be found on the walls of any taco shop.

That's not a recipe, it's a combination plate or "plato tipico". There
would be about five or six recipes necessary for a beginner to make
that plato, while an experienced cook would do it without measuring
anything.

The above is not intended to infer that the antonjitos served along
with the steak aren't
delightful in their own way.

If you have just one small antojito, you can serve it on a *platillo*,
if it's drizzled with mole or salsa and the person eating it doesn't
want to hold it in his hand.

> Sanborns chefs 'invented' the Enchiladas Suisas, which are basically green
> enchiladas topped with Mexican style sour cream.
>
> The Puebla Protocol thing is nothing more than my humble attempt to classify
> some of the origins of Mexican food and culture based on historical fact or
> historical fiction since it is impossible to really get to the historical
> truth what with the burning of all but a few codices written by the ancients
> and observations by Spanish priests who certainly wrote with a jaded eye by
> condemning everything as heretical and unChristian.

It takes at least two parties to agree to a protocol, according to the
definition of the term.

One person can't impose a protocol unless the other parties agree or
submit to it.

One of my illustrious non-Mexican Hispanic relatives delivered the
Queretaro Protocol to the Mexican minister De la Rosa, and the Mexican
Cession of 1848 is U.S. territory because the government of Mexico
agreed to the protocol.

And, I know about the burnings and the intolerance of the Spanish
priests. That's why our familes are non-Mexican and of Hispanic
origin.

> You probably consider anything with chile in it to be Mexican?

Absolutely not. But I hesitate to offer any recipe which does not
contain chiles, being wary of those who believe "no hay comida sin
chiles".