Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lobster Man Lobster Man is offline

Default Making vinegar

merryb wrote:
> Lobster Man wrote:
>
>>I'm thinking about trying my hand at making my own vinegar.
>>
>>Just wondering if anyone here has tried this and if they have any
>>stories to share.

> My mom has- are you starting with a "mother"?

I have some store-bought vinegar that is supposed to still have the
mother in it. I was going to start with that.

Several people in this thread have mentioned using wine to start. I am
allergic to the sulfites naturally present in wine, so I was wanting to
do a fruit-based vinegar. Cherry, or pear, or maybe blueberry. Apple
cider vinegar is easy enough to buy.

Has anyone done vinegar from scratch, starting with a non-fermented
product? It'd be a two-step process--fermenting the sugars into alcohol,
then fermenting the alcohol into vinegar.

I've done some home brewing, so I'm fairly comfortable with this, but
still was curious if anyone else had tried it.

Thanks to those that have already responded, and thanks in advance to
those that might still respond.