Posted to rec.food.cooking
Vilco[_1_] Vilco[_1_] is offline

Default Making vinegar

Lobster Man wrote

> I'm thinking about trying my hand at making my own vinegar.
>
> Just wondering if anyone here has tried this and if they have any
> stories to share.

IF you can get info on the SO2 contents of wines, choose the ones with
the lower content: SO2 is naturally present in wine but much miore get
added to help preserve it, and too much SO2 will impair your acetic
fermentation as well. The best would be a wine without added SO2.
Usually no wine carries that information on the label, but there are
many wine magazines who do theyr analysis and report the SO2 contents
of every bottle they taste, rate or simply list in each issue: low SO2
helps a lot.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'