Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler Julia Altshuler is offline

Default Making vinegar

Lobster Man wrote:
> I'm thinking about trying my hand at making my own vinegar.
>
> Just wondering if anyone here has tried this and if they have any
> stories to share.

I don't know if this counts as a story. It isn't terribly amusing. I
got the information on making vinegar from The Vegetarian Epicure by
Anna Thomas. You start with a bottle of apple cider vinegar from the
health food store, the kind with live mother of vinegar looking thick on
the bottom of the bottle. You add it to wine that you didn't finish on
the night you opened it or have leftover for any other reason. That's
pretty much it.

I learned that if you add a few cloves of garlic, the garlic gets eaten
out of the vinegar before it does much to flavor the vinegar. My
roommates at that time loved vinegar flavored garlic.

I learned that you have to start with good tasting wine. I tried making
vinegar with Manischevitz and have a handwritten note in the cookbook
explaining that it doesn't even make good vinegar.

--Lia