Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jean B.[_1_] Jean B.[_1_] is offline

Default Nabisco Ginger Snaps: Have They Changed?

isw wrote:
> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> I used to enjoy Nabisco Ginger Snaps but hadn't bought them
>> for a few years. I recently bought a box, and I must say they
>> are not very good. Have they changed? Is this a fluke? Does
>> anyone have an ancient box of them, so we can compare
>> ingredients? Unfortunately, I threw mine away!
>>
>> My observations:
>>
>> 1. They are paler than they used to be.
>>
>> 2. The top is slightly concave--and I don't remember that.
>>
>> 3. They are VERY hard--and not in the same way that they used
>> to be. They are UNPLEASANTLY hard now, and they do not soften
>> to a decent texture as you eat them.
>>
>> 4. They don't taste very gingery.

> 5. they no longer have that light sprinkling of sugar.
>
> and, worst of all
>
> 6. They're not dropped and allowed to crackle naturally; they all have
> the same "crackle" pattern stamped into the top.
>
> And you're right; they're not as good as they used to be.
>
> Now, go to the Nabisco web site and try to find out if they even admit
> to making the things, much less have a place where you can tell them you
> think the quality has gone down.
>
> Isaac

Let me go see.... I see they are part of Kraft now....

Hmmm. Before I go to the site... I am looking at the
ingredients. Since when did they contain partially
hydrogenated cottonseed oil? Yuck...

Okay. Here goes...

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf

Products...

Now that's odd. This only leads to the ingredients and label,
but those don't match what is on the box, which I just got.

Online: enriched flour, sugar, molasses, PH soybean oil,
leavening, ginger, salt, soy lecithin.

Box: enriched flour, sugar, molasses, soybean oil, leavening,
PH cottonseed oil, ginger, salt, cornstarch....

There is some interactive comment thing. Let me ask--not much
room for my observations though. That brought up 5 canned and
nonapplicable answers, but it also led to a form.... We shall
see.
--
Jean B.