Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jude Jude is offline

Default The Girl Scouts are Coming! The Girl Scouts are Coming!

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Jude" > wrote in message

> >> Their cookies suck, so I usually tell them that for health reasons, I
> >> can't
> >> eat sweets, and I offer to just donate $10.00 to their troop they're not
> >> Nazi assholes like the BSA. But, the parents are usually thrown for a
> >> loop
> >> when they have to figure out how to account for a donation without a
> >> cookie
> >> sale.

> > Have you considered asking them to donate your paid-for boxes to a
> > local charity or foodbank?
> >

> No. Cookies are not food. And, being poor is depressing enough. If I needed
> to get food from a food bank, I would not want to feel like I was getting
> peoples' throwaways. GS cookies are definitely in that category. If I wanted
> to donate cookies, I'd just go shopping and buy some serious ones that
> wouldn't insult the recipients.
>
> My lottery dream: Hire a tractor trailer, and arrange to go "shopping" at
> the warehouse of a local grocery chain. Fill the truck to the limit. Have
> the back of the truck rigged with video cameras, and driven to our local
> food bank. Insist that the head honcho sign for the contents, and that
> he/she be handed a little note: "Hope this helps. Love, Spongebob". Tell the
> truck driver that he gets $1000.00 when he brings me the videotape, so I can
> see the big smile (anonymously, of course).
>
> Next month, do it again, but this time, have it delivered by something like
> this, just for fun:
> http://www.constructionhelicopter.com/flight.htm
>
> I'd be broke in a year, but what the heck.

Good ream.

However, I believe that food is food. Some folks with kids, who can't
afford to buy a single box of Thin Mints, would be THRILLED to get some
in their food box. When I was poor enough to frequent a California food
bank for a few months, I was not choosey. We happily consumed a box of
graham crackers smeared with betty crocker tub frosting for dessert -
hell, we were hungry and we not only were begin fed, we were being
ginve dessert!

Poor folks really like a treat now and then, and they ain't snobby. I
don't think you'd find a lot of people who were insulted by your choice
to offer them cookies rather than a big fat nothing.