Posted to rec.food.cooking
maxine in ri maxine in ri is offline

Default The Girl Scouts are Coming! The Girl Scouts are Coming!

On Jan 25, 4:39 am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2007-01-25, jmcquown > wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure but I think the idea for the Girl Scouts originated in
> > Scotland, hence the Trefoil design for the butter cookie. I remember when I
> > was a Brownie (baby girl scout LOL) the handbook told the story of Brownies
> > (sort of like elves or fairies) and it was most definitely Scottish. So the
> > Trefoil butter cookie tasting like shortbread makes sense.Interesting. So, what is the origin of the word trefoil?

Girl Scouting was started by Juliette Gordon Low (Born 31 october) in
Savannah Georgia. The trefoil is sort symbolic of the three parts of
the girl scout promise. In Scotland, they're called Girl Guides.
Matter of fact, just about everywhere outside the US they're called
Guides.

Originally, the girls made the cookies to sell.

> Also, just out of curiosity, I remember a long time ago running across
> a Brownie exhibit at the county fair. Sitting in a circle were a
> buncha Brownies doing some sort of rhythmic exercise with clave-like
> thingies. They were chanting some cryptic words and keeping up this
> relatively complex rhythm by knocking the claves against the ground
> and each other's claves. Kinda like pattycake with billies. As a
> musician, I was blown away. How did these little girsl learn about
> complex rhythms most of my fellow musicians were cluesless about?
> But, that was a long time ago and I'd pretty much forgotten about it.
> What was that all about?
>
> nb

When we were kids, we learned all sorts of hand-clapping games. Kid
are great at learning complex rythyms.

maxine in ri