Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Girl Scouts are Coming! The Girl Scouts are Coming!

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
6.121...
> "JoeSpareBedroom" >
> :
>
>> Nah...that's wasteful. Don't get me wrong - I like the Girl Scout
>> organization. There were some kids on my street whose GS troop took
>> them to a VERY fancy blue-hair restaurant for lunch, and told them
>> "Now, watch how the old ladies eat. Look at their table manners....".
>> I thought that was cool, so I donated big-time for that idea.

> Over the past 2 years BS and GS have moved into Glenhaven. Steven gives
> me
> shit every time I buy from the BS (we both detest the organization) but I
> see no reason to punish these young kids for what the elders in the
> organization are doing. Steven's argument that soon the kids *will* be
> the
> elders. Well, I just can't help it, and they are our neighbors which we
> are on excellent terms with.
>
> Michael <- defiant

I just tell the BS "no, thanks". But, when they come around raising money
for other things, like sports, out comes the checkbook.

A few years back, my nephew's school was raising money for their marching
band. They were selling cases of citrus fruit from Florida. His mom said the
parents had expressed grave doubts about people spending $20 or whatever it
was for a case. But, they ended up selling MORE than a full truckload,
couldn't order another truck, and had to contact anyone who'd bought more
than one case & explain that they had to adjust their order downward.

Duh. Why don't more organizations try this? Nobody wants stale candy and bad
popcorn.