Posted to rec.food.sourdough
PastorDIC PastorDIC is offline

Default Humidity and sourdough

On Jan 18, 5:16 pm, "Mike Pearce" > wrote:

> > Does the humidity in the air affect sourdough bread baking?I think the real question is whether the humidity in the air affects

> sourdough bread baking to an extent where one (a home baker) needs to
> take it into consideration when baking.
>
> I'd say that it does not based upon my experience, though I've never
> baked in a very dry environment. <snip>

> Are you having a problem with your bread that you believe is related
> to humidity?
> -Mike

Thank you very much to Mike P and Mike A for answering my question(s).
I appreciate it very much. I will be saving your posts to refer back
to.

Mike P asked if I was having a problem with humidity and baking
sourdough. The answer is no. I was just trying to forestall a
problem. Because of the relative humidity and rain up here our
favorite jokes in the northwest are rain jokes.

For instance:

Last year 496 Oregonians fell off their bikes...and drowned.

What do you call two straight days of rain in Portland? A weekend.

It only rains twice a year in Portland: August through April and May
through July.

What does daylight-saving time mean in Seattle? An extra hour of rain.

What's the definition of a Seattle optimist? A guy with a sun visor on
his rain hat.

How to predict weather in Seattle: If you can see Mt Rainier, it's
going to rain. If not, it already is.

A newcomer to Portland arrives on a rainy day. He gets up the next day
and it's raining. It also rains the day after that, and the day after
that. He goes out to lunch and sees a young kid and asks out of
despair, "Hey kid, does it ever stop raining around here?" The kid
says, "How do I know? I'm only 12."

Russ