Posted to rec.food.cooking
tofuqueen tofuqueen is offline

Default High Blood Pressure Recipes (aka low sodium recipes :-)

Hi,
It's me the ocassional poster, mostly lurker, vegetarian with a
junk-food/fast-food addict husband who was recently diagnosed with high
blood pressure. He's only 47, it runs in his family and it's going to
be the death of me, trying to find and cook foods that emulate junk
food. Argghhhh; I need a place to vent and I'm not sure if it's the
marriage newsgroup I need of this food group. You're less
argumentative here, so I'm posting here.

Does anyone know if the roasted chickens at costco are laden with salt?

Okay, here is what he likes (don't worry, it's a short list)
Chicken ( I'd like to buy it cooked since I don't like even touching
raw chicken...gives me the gag reflex :-)
Salad: lettuce, carrots, garbanzo beans/red kidney beans and ranch or
blue cheese dressing (vinagrette is his 2nd choice
Asparagus as long as they are not over cooked
Chili as long as there are no tomatoes
Broccoli as long as it's raw and not too much
He buys his fruit (thank god, or I'd probably buy the wrong sized
apple!!!)

Honestly, I've been at it with him for two weeks, trying to cook for
him, shop for him and help him "get it" that he cannot go out to eat
every day and avoid the salt that he so desperately needs to stop
eating.

Intellectually, I know that I need to let go of how he eats and just
let it be. BUT...and it's a big but, here's the deal. As some of you
know, I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer 11 months ago. If that
wasn't enough, my son, 28 years old, was recently diagnosed with
friggin Bladder Cancer. He was raised on the healthiest diet and all
of my adult years were spent eating very healthily. Yet in 11 months,
both my son and I were dx'd with two different forms of cancer. What
is frustrating me is how healthily we ate and our cancers have NOTHING
to do with diet. My husband's dx, on the other hand, CAN be controlled
with diet. It's infuriating me that something that he CAN control is
being taken so lightly by him.

OKay, end of rant.

If anyone here has this problem (either with a spouse) or has it
yourself, please share any websites with recipes or any of your own
recipes that have any of the above listed things that Mr. Picky will
eat. If I could emulate Taco Bell, Kentucky Fried Chicken or Burger
King; his dream would come true. From where I stand, he is damn lucky
that he got this wake up call before a heart attack and is being given
a golden opportunity to avoid meds.

Help please. Any attacks on how I feel will only make me cry. I mean
it. I ready to burst into tears right now :-(

Thanks in advance; you guys have always been such a great group the few
times that I've posted here.

Bless all of you (well, the nice ones :-)
At least I still have a sense of humor even with tears coming out of my
eyes.